The addon now syncs Google Groups with Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Postbox and Spicebird addressbooks. The feature is available in release 0.8.15 and later.
How it works
After enabling the option, the next sync creates addressbooks that correspond to Google groups.
The synced Google groups
All Google groups are synced. Google Apps users don’t see Coworkers, Family, Friends - consistent with gmail.
Contacts that aren’t members of a Google group appear in the ‘Suggested Contacts’ addressbook.
Add, rename and delete
This is a full two-way sync, so add, rename or delete an addressbook and the next sync will alter the corresponding group at Google.
You can change a contact’s Google group membership by:
- drag and drop between firstname.lastname@example.org#groupname addressbooks or
- deleting it from the corresponding email@example.com#groupname addressbook.
To entirely delete a contact, delete it from Personal Address Book, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com#Suggested Contacts.
- don’t edit a contact in two different addressbooks. The addon chooses a winner and propagates it.
- don’t drag and drop if you use Thunderbird 2, Postbox 1.x or SpiceBird 0.7.x.
Addressbook limitations in these clients cause a drag+drop to appear to the addon as a delete+add (instead of a move) - which creates duplicates.
- don’t drag and drop between Personal Address Book or firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com#xxx. You’ll have to ‘Reset’ to get back into sync.
With apologies to the many people who asked for mailing lists, there are reasons we decided the addon should instead sync Google groups with Thunderbird addressbooks.
Tags: GoogleIf you liked this Blog, share the love :